April 11th, 2019
Is Synthetic Turf Safe?
The word "synthetic" sounds like something made from chemicals, and for the most part it's true, however, today's synthetic turf formulas are very safe.
Synthetic turf has been around for decades now, and was first made by Chemstrand Company in the 1960's. Since it was first introduced, it has been improved and tested to produce a better product that can be used for a wide range of applications. The latest synthetic turf products are made to be safe for human skin when interacting directly, as well as for eyes, lungs and reproductive systems.
Is synthetic turf safe for everyone?
- Synthetic turf is free of Lead - The first versions of Astro turf included lead, however, lead is no longer used.
- Crumb Rubber is Safe for Use - Turf applications for field turf requires crumb rubber (infill) in order to create a bounce effect for athletes and kids who like to play and run around. The tiny particles of rubber were thought to be dangerous, however, the Department of Public Health Sciences in the Alberta Center have determined that the rubber particles do not contain DNA or chromosome-damaging chemicals.
- Artificial Grass Won't Harm Your Skin - Some have claimed that artificial lawns can harm the skin upon contact. The National Institute for Public Health and the Environment proved that rubber infill and other materials used in synthetic grass do not affect the skin.
- An Artificial Lawn Doesn't Contaminate the Air Quality - The British Standards Institute has determined that the ingredients in synthetic turf pose no threat to the health of humans. Further studies by FIFA prove that no Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons are released, making air quality safe.
- Synthetic Turf is non-allergenic - Many people have a hard time with real grass because they suffer from allergic reactions caused from the grass pollen. Synthetic grass is non-allergenic because it doesn't produce pollen, making it a good choice for people and kids who enjoy healthy activities.
Although the early versions of synthetic turf composits were questionable, the current turf composits have been proven safe through many studies. It's not only safe, but it's natural appearance has made it so popular that artificial turf is in demand for many different applications, including athletic events, playground activities, residential/commercial lawns and more.
Synthetic turf is resistant to human activities such as contact sports and natural whether elements, and is now more wear-resistant and water resistant than ever. Overall, synthetic turf is projected to stand the test of time through it's resilient nature.